Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sequence of Play questions
04-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Sequence of Play questions
Hello, I have some questions about the game.

My group has been trying to work through the sequence of play and how it relates to firing. So below is the turn sequence. Below that is an example of play with questions.
Turn Sequence
I. Initiative
II. First Fire and Movement Phase - Attacker is red, Defender is blue
a. Attacker’s /Defenders Artillery (plot/adjust FFE)
b. Attacker’s opportunity fire (held fire from previous phase)
c. Defender’s opportunity fire (held fire from previous phase)
d. Attacker/Defender conducts stationary fires
e. Attacker moves and conducts moving fire. Defender fires
f. Defender moves and conducts moving fire. Attacker fires
g. Attacker/Defender ATGM fire resolution
h. Smoke discharge segment
Attacker and Defender switch designation (my explanation)
III. Second Fire and Movement Phase – Attacker is blue, Defender is red
i. Attacker’s /Defenders Artillery (plot/adjust FFE)
j. Attacker’s opportunity fire (held fire from previous phase)
k. Defender’s opportunity fire (held fire from previous phase)
l. Attacker/Defender conducts stationary fires
m. Attacker moves and conducts moving fire. Defender fires
n. Defender moves and conducts moving fire. Attacker fires
o. Attacker/Defender ATGM fire resolution
p. Smoke discharge segment

So the games starts and everyone is stationary there is no direct fire as no one can see any targets. Phase II
Attacker (Red) moves just under 60 inches. Defender (Blue) spots and chooses not to fire.

Phase III
Blue player gets op fire at full effect.
Red player cannot fire unless he halted in phase “n”
Blue player gets stationary fire at full effect. Red can choose to fire during stationary fire using Snap Fire and modifiers or hold fire until the next Phase.
Blue gets moving fire phase at full effect. Red can choose to fire defender fire using Snap Fire and modifiers or hold fire until the next Phase.
Red gets to move and fire using Snap fire or hold until the next Phase. Blue gets to fire full or hold for Opportunity Fire in the next turn.
So the question is are we doing this correctly? The blue player could get 4 shots.

At the max ranges it seemed like we were both hitting on 5s with halved fire to 2s (rounded down). Firing Snap Fire at a stationary target is 4 rounded down to 2. The difference in Phase II will be for Red tanks that moved and stopped in Phase “e” (depending on what the rules actually say about moving and stopping) because stopped tanks wouldn't normally be subject to the halved fire modifier.

When halving do you round up or down?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Dale
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2014, 03:18 PM
RE: Sequence of Play questions
I am reading through your example and will post an answer to you this evening as I am at work today. I am sorry it took us a while to get back with you. As you can see your one of the first to post a question here. I hope you enjoy the game system and we are always happy to answer questions.
04-16-2014, 09:20 PM
I. Initiative
II. First Fire and Movement Phase - Attacker is red, Defender is blue
a. Attacker’s /Defenders Artillery (plot/adjust FFE)
b. Attacker’s opportunity fire (held fire from previous phase)
c. Defender’s opportunity fire (held fire from previous phase)
d. Attacker/Defender conducts stationary fires
e. Attacker moves and conducts moving fire. Defender fires
f. Defender moves and conducts moving fire. Attacker fires
g. Attacker/Defender ATGM fire resolution

In the Fire and Movement Phase above, Opportunity Fire, Stationary Fire, Move/Moving Fire, and ATGM Fire Resolution are each a single segment. They are broken into Attacker and Defender portion for administrative reasons, but all action in each segment is simultaneous.
During the Move/Moving Fire Segment, a unit may fire during its movement, or during the opposing player’s movement, but not both. There is only one shot per unit taken during this phase.

Phase II
I assume that by “move under 60 inches” you mean that Red moved at least one unit so that it ended up within the 60” maximum range for spotting a moving vehicle in the open. When the vehicle moved to within 60”, Blue would have had an option to take a Snap Shot at this target.

Phase III
1. Blue player do not have an Opportunity Fire. Opportunity Fire is available when the firing unit would have been able to make a non-Snap Shot attack during the previous firing opportunity and chose not to. If a unit shoots during the Move/Moving Fire Segment, it is not able to shoot during opportunity fire. However, shots taken during Opportunity Fire may not trigger a Snap Shot in return. The firing unit would be able to be spotted per the Firing category of the Spotting Chart, but not shot at (unless it was the target of another unit’s Opportunity Fire).
2. The Red player does not need to halt in order to fire. If the unit has a stabilized weapon, it will fire normally. If the unit does not have a stabilized weapon, then it would suffer the ½ penalty to its to hit number for firing on the move. This applies to vehicles. Foot units do not suffer this penalty.
3. Correct. After the Segment in which you fire a Snap Shot, the next Segment that you fire in will be a shot using the full to-hit value for the range and conditions. During the Stationary Fire Segment, Blue would be able to fire normal shots at Red units which they could have made Snap Shots at during the prior Phase’s Move/Moving Fire Segment. Red would be able to make Snap Shots at any Blue units that fired during the Stationary Fire Segment of Phase III, as their firing would reveal them.
4. Blue would continue to fire for full effect during the Move/Moving Fire Segment at previously spotted targets. Red would now be able to fire full effect shots at units revealed during the Stationary Fire Segment, and Snap Shots at Blue units revealed by firing/moving during the Move/Moving Fire Segment.
5. Red units that are spotted as a result of firing or moving during the Move/Moving Fire Segment would be fired at by Blue using Snap Shot rules.

Neither side should have more than 3 shots in a Phase. The two normal shots are: one per the Stationary Fire Segment and one during the Move/Moving Fire Segment. The third shot would be if a unit did not take a full effect shot it was entitled to take during the Move/Moving Fire Segment and ‘held’ it until the following Opportunity Fire. This is most commonly used when a firing unit wants to wait to reveal itself until it has a better shot than is available at the range its target is first seen. Most often, a unit will only fire twice per Phase.

The halved fire for firing and moving only applies to older vehicles that do not have a main gun stabilization system (like the Soviet T-55). The crew served weapons on top of the vehicles are not stabilized. The unit that comes to a stop becomes an easier target for Snap Shots, as it will be treated as Stationary, rather than use its movement type on the Snap Shot chart.

Rounding is done down, to the benefit of the target.

Any further questions or clarification, feel free to ask!

Thanks for playing our game!
01-02-2015, 09:34 PM
In the original post, in Phase II, the attacker is Red & the defender is Blue. In Phase III, it is switched (attacker is now Blue, defender is now Red).

Is this how the sequence of play is supposed to be conducted?
Example (US vs USSR):
Phase I - Initiative -- US wins initiative and 'becomes' attacker for this turn.
Phase II - First Fire and Movement Phase -- US is attacker (and will move first), USSR is defender
Phase III - Second Fire and Movement Phase -- USSR is attacker (and will move first), US is defender

Lots of additional follow-up questions regarding the sequence and such, but I don't want to overload a post with questions.
01-06-2015, 12:49 PM
For Phases II and III the same side will retain initiative. So, in your example. The US will have initiative for both phases and then the next turn, you will roll for initiative again. Does that help?
01-07-2015, 08:42 AM
(01-06-2015 12:49 PM)HeatherPGG Wrote:  For Phases II and III the same side will retain initiative. So, in your example. The US will have initiative for both phases and then the next turn, you will roll for initiative again. Does that help?

Yes, that's what I had assumed upon reading the rulebook. Thanks.