Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thoughts on 15mm Gaming
02-12-2015, 12:06 PM
Thoughts on 15mm Gaming
I've seen mention of a supplement or other documentation designed to help us use Fields of Fire with 15mm figures.

Would just doubling all ranges work well?

My 15mm modern infantry are based as individual figures, so a US infantry team would be four figures, individually based, moving roughly together (within say an inch or so of each other).

Keeping the rules simple, would a hit on said team just wipe them all out (make the team combat ineffective) or would it be better to attack a team like that with four dice, one per man, to see what happens to each guy? Perhaps when a team dropped below 50% in size it would fire at the enemy less effectively (with a penalty on the attack die roll).

Any thoughts on adapting the Fields of Fire rules, as simply as possible, to this type of scale/infantry team composition?

Thanks

--Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2015, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2015 03:23 PM by PGGAdmin.)
RE: Thoughts on 15mm Gaming
Yes basically you are correct, you would be doubling the ranges. The rules for infantry teams still hold true. If a team is hit it is taken off the board. There is some talk of a skirmish level rules set but that is only in the earliest discussions and not even close to Alpha testing at this time.

WWII rules under the title of Crucible of Force will be expanding quite a bit on how infantry are used at the 15mm level because of the infantry intensive combat that WWII brings to the table. Those could be incorporated into the 15mm games of modern if a player so desired.

WWII is currently in Beta testing and part of it is available for free at wargamevault.com
02-13-2015, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2015 03:38 PM by abouffard.)
Thanks.

Given individually based 15mm figures, do you think it would be visually better to just have one figure represent a team and two together represent a squad, or would you recommend the aesthetic of using four figures in close proximity to represent a team?

I have quite a few 15mm modern troops and am trying to reuse these for FoF, rather than have to invest in an all new (for me) scale.

Thanks again.

--Andy

Also, is there any chance we could get digitally editable copies of the two quick reference cards for FoF, so we can double all the distances on them, rather than have to create our own cards? Or have you done this and can we please get a doubled-range/distance card set?

Thanks
02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
I would use 2 for a squad to keep it simple for you on the field. In general, we use the same mounting for 15mm as Flames of War does as it represents the correct frontage / area of influence that a squad would have, so that may cause you some fits for measuring to the unit for hits, but in general, 2 individual troops as a squad should work out ok if you keep it consistent for your games.