Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Snap shooting infantry
05-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Snap shooting infantry
The snap shot table doesn't contain a base to-hit number for non-vehicles.

Does snap shot apply to non-vehicles? If so, what are the to-hit numbers? Should they be treated as if they were in prepared positions or urban terrain, on the fire vs. infantry table, in the phase they are first spotted by a shooter?

Thanks

--Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2015, 01:28 PM
RE: Snap shooting infantry
Proving Ground,

Can I please ask for a ruling on this question?

I'm planning our first game of Fields of Fire at our club's game night on June 1st. Since we are doing it at 15mm, I have created a new quick reference card, doubling all ranges.

I'm just now trying to determine, does Snap Shot apply to infantry targets? If a friendly infantry unit spots a hostile infantry unit, and immediately fires, does it fire at a Snap Shot penalty? If so, what are the Snap Shot to-hit numbers or the Snap Shot direct fire penalty for shooting at infantry?

Also, when halving the to-hit chance, do we round up or round down?

Just as an FYI, our club's URL is http://beerandpretzel.webs.com

Thanks

--Andy
05-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Hey sorry about not answering sooner. Ill give you a full answer later this evening when I get a chance to review your full question and consult the rules sections that covers it. I don't want to provide an inaccurate answer. Also, had you purchased the hard copy of the rules from us? Let me know. If you have we can send you a copy of the 15mm charts for free as they are now included as part of the digital version.
05-21-2015, 04:40 PM
Yes, I bought the hardcover of the rules from you at Origins in 2013.

You can email me the digital 15mm charts at andrew.j.bouffard@gmail.com

Thanks!

--Andy

(05-21-2015 04:08 PM)PGGAdmin Wrote:  Hey sorry about not answering sooner. Ill give you a full answer later this evening when I get a chance to review your full question and consult the rules sections that covers it. I don't want to provide an inaccurate answer. Also, had you purchased the hard copy of the rules from us? Let me know. If you have we can send you a copy of the 15mm charts for free as they are now included as part of the digital version.
05-25-2015, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 07:38 PM by cbrutsche.)
The general rule for rounding is round down to benefit the target.

Per the infantry snap fire:
Treat non-vehicle targets as stationary targets. You would then account for range, weapon firing, and conditional modifiers. If the modified to-hit chance is greater than the normal to-hit would be, use the lower of the two numbers.
For example (15mm scale), an unbuttoned tank comes around a hill and spots two squads of infantry. The first squad is crossing an open area at 15" and the second is moving through concealment terrain at 6". Both units are spotted (the unit at 6" would not be if the tank were buttoned up). Firing the coax MG at the squad at 15" would have a snap shot to-hit of '4' since this is less than the Open Terrain base to-hit at 15" of '7'. Firing the coax MG at the squad at 6" would also have a snap shot to-hit of '4' since this is less than the Woods Terrain base to-hit at 6" of '5'. Since both squads are moving, the moving target die roll modifier would also factor in, dropping the die roll needed for a successful snap shot hit by one.

Out of curiosity... When using the die roll modifiers, does your group tend towards applying them to the target to hit number to get to the actual number that needs to appear on the die, or do you modify the die roll to see if it matches the to-hit target number?
05-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks.

We haven't played the game yet (Monday will be our first game) but we plan to use the modifiers as DRMs, so modifying the die roll, not the to-hit number.

--Andy

(05-25-2015 07:36 PM)cbrutsche Wrote:  The general rule for rounding is round down to benefit the target.

Per the infantry snap fire:
Treat non-vehicle targets as stationary targets. You would then account for range, weapon firing, and conditional modifiers. If the modified to-hit chance is greater than the normal to-hit would be, use the lower of the two numbers.
For example (15mm scale), an unbuttoned tank comes around a hill and spots two squads of infantry. The first squad is crossing an open area at 15" and the second is moving through concealment terrain at 6". Both units are spotted (the unit at 6" would not be if the tank were buttoned up). Firing the coax MG at the squad at 15" would have a snap shot to-hit of '4' since this is less than the Open Terrain base to-hit at 15" of '7'. Firing the coax MG at the squad at 6" would also have a snap shot to-hit of '4' since this is less than the Woods Terrain base to-hit at 6" of '5'. Since both squads are moving, the moving target die roll modifier would also factor in, dropping the die roll needed for a successful snap shot hit by one.

Out of curiosity... When using the die roll modifiers, does your group tend towards applying them to the target to hit number to get to the actual number that needs to appear on the die, or do you modify the die roll to see if it matches the to-hit target number?